Saturday, June 23, 2007

Manning Park to Princeton: The Manning Park Ordeal, Denoument

Can things get worse than getting lost in the dark on a mountainside in bear country and ascending a near interminable mountain pass with no water? Well, yes. Sort of.


Hypothetically speaking, one might have to descend said mountain. In the dark. Unable to see the road ahead of you while you gather speed beyond your control, unable to use the shoulder because it's grated and, therefore, biking on the road and simply praying that motorists also gathering speed possibly beyond their control will see you in time. (Thank you Scotchbright. I think you might have literally saved our lives.) Hypothetically, of course. Uh, Mom, this totally NEVER happened.


And then, blessedly, halfway down the mountain, you might finally see the campground that was supposed to be 50 kilometres back and think that your ordeal is finally over. Unbeknownst to you, however, is that this campsite is infested with Pterodactyl sized mosquitoes. Oh, and? It's COLD. Cold as in next-to-a-spring-damp-air cold. Cold as in above-the-snowline cold. The kind of damp cold that makes it impossible to start a fire. Wet cold that infiltrated our gear and dampened all our bedding. The kind of cold that even with wool socks, long underwear under full clothing, a fleece, toque, and gloves we shivered violently throughout the night instead of sleeping.

By morning, things were beyond bleak. We were exhausted and stiff. We ate our oatmeal in bleary-eyed silence and then a drop. And another drop. And then the heavens opened up and DUMPED. And dumped. And dumped. Lashing after lashing of wind and rain that persisted throughout our 70 kilometre ride to Princeton.

And it should be noted that somewhere in that ride, somewhere near the start of our ascent to Sunday Summit, I hit a wall. I rounded a corner and there was another damn hill. I stopped to collect my thoughts, trying to rally myself, but that damn hill just yawned ahead of us through the sheets of rain, no end in sight. (It should also be noted that there is nothing, NOTHING, that will cause my morale to nosedive more quickly and effectively than being cold without respite. I simply can't stand it.) I looked at the hill and the hill looked at me.

"Fuck it."

I got off and walked. I walked for two full kilometres just to spite the hill. And ridiculously, I felt much better after that. If there was something I could have done to spite the rain, I would have done that too.

And then, finally, Princeton. We were back in civilization and it couldn't have come a minute too soon. In town, we ran into a man coming out of the hardware store and asked him about the local campground. He took one look at us, drenched and bedraggled, and suggested that we get a motel. We did. And we stayed for two nights because that's how long it took to warm up and sleep off the Park.

Stats: 70 km; Sunday Summit 1280m; 1 very much needed rest day

[Ed note: No time to spel cheque. Please forgive.]

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo for making it through that, guys! And, Jay, I have nothing but respect for someone who does something to spite a mountain. 'Member that time we were skiing with your dad and I took off my skis and threw them down the hill 'cuz I just couldn't do one more turn on that steep part?

Yeah. That was awesome.

Hugs and kisses,
Karla and Jon

Yarnurbia said...

you guys are amazing. i love your posts. i hope you have better luck with the weather and keep pedaling!

lw & family

Anonymous said...

So awesome to hear about your trip. I get chills thinking about you guys out there, both excited and partially terrified at the same time.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your adventures - I'm so happy that you're doing it!!

Lots of love to both of you!
Colin

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! You are in my favorite place - Stephen and I got engaged at the Johnson (or Johnston) Creek Campground, just up the mountain from Osoyoos. I'm envious! Hope you are having a great time and keep on truckin'
K

Unknown said...

A true Rambo(ette?) would have camped.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Great (as in "fantabulous", not "old") Auntie Tracey reads your blog to us so it's kind of like we are taking the trip with you. I don't think I would have liked that "bear" thing you spoke of; I'm glad you left it where you found it... we dont need any more fur-bearing animals around here.

Logan is being a brat (as usual) and Kes and I have to keep him in line every now and then. Auntie Tracey tells us to give him a break... we are considering it. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Don't break anything out there... we want your lap home in one piece.

Love and purrs
Nirmal

Katie said...

Have you guys come across very much snow? Apparently this week there was a huge snow fall in the Okanagon. We all love reading your posts. Jay you are hilarious. We miss you a lot, and Mike misses his Kieran. Haha. Take care of yourselves.
Love, Katie
PS..Heather turns 10 months today and she said her first word, "dog".

Unknown said...

Hey everyone...

Just a quick shout-out to the Princeton Motel where we stayed for a rest-day. Good rate (ie cheap) for a nicely appointed room. Also a nod of thanks to the guy at the Irly Bird building centre in town who, regretting he couldn't have us as his guests at his home, recommended our little motel that could.

-K

Unknown said...

RE: Snow, we were passing snow after night had fallen in Manning (above the snow line in June and all) but have thus far (and I am knocking on wood) avoided falling snow.

When we were in Creston on our rest day (post to follow) there was rain. When we left the town we met a guy biking from Trail to Banff. While we were being annoyed by rain on our rest day, he was being annoyed by hail while trying to climb the Kootenay fracking Pass. So in truth, our weather could be alot worse.

But it could also be alot better. :P

-Kieran